Wednesday, October 3, 2007

PULL YOUR SHIRT DOWN IN THE BACK, GIRL!

Deuteronomy 34:7 "and Moses was a Hundred and Twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone."

This blog is dedicated to a great woman of faith named Mildred. She is an example of the content of which I write. She knows who she is.



I miss my grandmothers. My maternal and paternal grandmothers were very special and loving Christian women. Elva, my father's mother was a genteel (usually) elegant lady who was a woman of prayer and counsel. She opened her home for respite to the young and old and considered it a ministry to do so. My maternal grandmother's name was Ada. She was an uncomplicated and generous woman with a firm belief in prayer and interceded daily for many, many people. She kept an active prayer list in her bag. Nana also frequently opened her house to someone in crisis. She was married to my grandpa for 59 years. Both grandmothers passed away within 7 months of each other. Elva (Nannie) passed away at age 87 in December and Ada (Nana) died the following July at age 84. A tremendous loss to our family and the living community of faith. A deep and profound loss for me.
Let me tell you about a story that concerns Nana (Ada). It was the last year of her life, though we didn't know that at the time. My wife and I took Nana to the local Walgreens to do her bi-weekly shopping. The list consisted of the following; three kinds of mints; the kind Nana liked and two others for the people in her church. Soap powder, denture adhesive, her medicine and a few other items she wanted. As we moved around the store Nana spied a young girl of about 17 years of age. The girl was dressed in the summer dress code of the day. Low slung jeans (way too tight), colorful sneakers, hair a color that appears no where in nature and a shirt that kept riding up above her pants line; belly and navel exposed. Nana pressed her lips together briefly and as the girl passed us she called to the girl, "Pull your shirt down in the back, girl." I temporarily froze fearing the almost predictable response from a young 'round the way girl to such a bold and uninvited comment. The young woman turned and observed who made the remark and with a look of resignation did exactly what Nana told her to do.
I was at once relieved and amazed. It reminded me of the potential influence of our elders in our families, neighborhoods, communities and churches.

I have noticed a trend toward an emphasis on the new, youthful, present-day, anointing as it is so-called, that in my opinion lacks a certain influence from folk who have weathered some storms, walked some floors in prayer all night and have some long-term history in "The Way". I fear that once again we have been unduly influenced by our culture and its emphasis on youth, beauty, newness, and the obsessive fear of aging. Multiplied billions of dollars are spent every year on creams, potions, lotions, pills, vitamins, surgery and botox to ward off the inevitable, old age, and eventual death. Try what we may (and believe me I have tried a few) it is all an illusion. We are aging and going back to dust one day. My mother used to say in retort to that observation: "Yeah, but I don't have to look dusty doing it!"
In our quest for perpetual youth have we forgotten the place of our faithful elders in our midst? So many churches, relegate senior saints to their own groups of other senior citizens. Occupying their time with specialized ministries and subject matter than pertains specifically to the senior set of saints. This is not a bad consideration since there are concerns and unique issues that confront people as they age. I am concerned that we may forget to fully integrate our elders in the life of the church. There is a trend of ministry today to have specialized areas of ministry; children's church, youth groups, singles, men's, women's, married people, divorced folk, people in recovery, etc., that there is sometimes a lack of opportunity for the entire body to mingle and share and love and understand one another. I miss that experience. The way many churches are structured today they will be deprived of the blessing I and countless others hold as precious.

In the church I grew up in there was a multi-ethnic and multi-generational congregation. Our church choir was comprised of all age groups. The senior saints attended "Junior Church" on Friday nights and encouraged the youth and supported us. We didn't always appreciate their input but there had to be respect from us to them. Our pastor, Elder Bell was a man in his early 80's when the young people started an all night prayer group. We met every Friday. Diane and Pauline (in their middle thirties) consistently supported us. By the way, when we were were teens, middle thirties was kinda old! What was amazing to us was that Elder Bell was with us every Friday evening we were there. Praying with us and validating what we thought the LORD wanted us to do. I can still see him on the short stairway that leads to the podium where he would pray all night with us on his knees; agreeing with his young folk in prayer. Many times those meetings wouldn't end until the wee hours of the morning. Ocassionally they lasted until the sun came up. Our elder pastor was there holding out with us.

In that same church after Sunday morning service we all went around and greeted one another kissing the elder women, greeting the older men and women and embracing them hearing both their blessings and their rebukes and knowing both came from loving hearts.

In my work as a musician I insist on including the music of multiple generations in the presentation of such for worship. It's a sad thing to see the older saints try and keep up with "Ain't no party like a Holy Ghost party 'cuz a Holy Ghost party don't stop!" Their experiences, their history and sensibilities should be understood and accepted. Gifts and callings don't change simply because people get old. Positioning may change but the gift will get richer, deeper and more valuable. It is not wise to believe that only another young person can minister to young people. Some of the richest deposits in my Christian experience have come through "seasoned saints" who remember what it was to be young and had a desire to see young people grow in the LORD. The gifts of the seasoned saints have brought me where I am today. Their prayers have held me in good stead for many years. I can still hear their words, recall their actions and feel their love even today. I can still hear the voices of Henry, Agnes, Augustus, Isabelle, Louvenia, Marion, Effie, Estella and many other elder men and women of faith who who helped to shape a generation of believers in Christ by their examples, their prayers and their humanity.
Don't put your old folk out to pasture; include them, honor them and let the LORD bless your life through them. You'll be richer for it if you do.

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

You are so right, the wealth of knowlege & wisdom that the older saints have is exactly why I don't mind getting "old". With age comes wisdom and what's better than Godly wisdom?? I often find myself drawn to the "elders" of the church, many of which call me "Daughter" (I sorta think of myself as "grand daughter" lol)and I in turn call them "Mother".
Which is a big turn around from my childhood memories of being "dragged" (I mean encouraged) to accompany my grandmother and other church members to the local nursing home. However, for a young girl it was equivelant to going to(not to mention, smelled like) the city morgue. I dreaded the smell, their sad drawn old faces, their appearances of total dependency.
And now many years later, I go out of my way to help and assist and talk with these "seasoned saints", not out of sympathy or even empathy but to be blessed by their experiences and wisdom.